Tuesday 20 March 2012

Airbrushes!

Hi All

I thought I would put up a little something on airbrushes.  My chosen weapon is is an Iwata Custom Micron plus. I chose this model due to adaptability of the nozzle from 0.23mm down to 0.18mm.  The claim from the company is utmost precision for the elite professional! I don't doubt that for a single minute!
However, last week I was painting a load of zombies and and found problems with my airflow.  Took the lead liquid nozzle off (screw piece with a cool little spanner to help), cleaned it and then put it back to find no difference in zirflow etc.  Took it off once more and then screwed it back into place - only to shear the thread section into the airbrush itself! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH is a slight understatement! I couldn't believe that happened and what's more, the nozzle isn't covered by the 5 year warranty!  I could have cried.....in fact I almost did when I got a quote from someone to fix it - £80+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I took it into the mechanical labs dept of my university and the head technician chappy fixed it in around 5 minutes! To say happy is a bigger understatement! Two things would explain this; 1. I am very heavily dependant on my airbrush due to the quickness, covering abilities, airbrush techniques looking good, the list goes on, and 2. Now I only have to pay £40 for a new nozzle and my pride and joy will be back spraying loads and loads of undead for my Vamp Counts!

One thing all of this did flag up to me was the cleanliness of the airbrush itself.  Paint gets everywhere and the use of ultrasonic cleaners and the like are very important.  I used to clean my airbrush (used to as in will not anymore) by using an airbrush cleaning brush (will keep on with this) and blasting water through the airbrush when finished with a particular paint.  Opening the airbrush sections so that he could remove the existing thread, the technician found the nozzle housing fairly clogged with paint!  So be aware of this! I am getting an ultrasonic cleaner very soon but another thing I will be getting to help keep the airbrush clean, will be some proper airbrush cleaning fluid.  With the cost of some of these tools, you cannot be too careful about the cleanliness of the airbrush!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment